Phone Call us: (403) 652-8600
Email E-Mail us: By Clicking Here
Reduce font size Reset font size Increase font size

Frequently Asked Question's - Independent Living

Q. What is the difference between Supportive and Independent Living?
A. In a supportive living community you have a personal living space (ranging from a studio to a two bedroom suite) and sharing congregate spaces for meals, leisure and recreation. Meals, weekly housekeeping and recreation are provided and non-medical staff are available 24 hours a day.

Independent living suites are apartment rental accommodations with a bedroom, living area, bathroom and kitchen.  Tenants do your own cooking and cleaning. Tenants live independently with no monitoring.


Q. How long is the waitlist?
A. Westwinds Communities maintains a Master Wait List which qualified applicants are priority rated.  If you are flexible about location and suite then the wait list is shorter. 


Q. What is the rent?
A. Rent is based on 30% of the gross household income.  Heat, water and garbage removal are included in the rent. There is an additional fee for electricity, parking and affordable laundry facilities are available on site. Tenants are to arrange their own cable, telephone and internet services.


Q. What is considered income?
A. Income is reviewed annually and is calculated using line 150 of the previous year’s Notice of Tax Assessment.

Income Limits
Community Number of Bedrooms Requried    
  Studio 1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom
Black Diamond   $33,500  
High River $31,500 $34,500 $41,000
Okotoks   $38,000  
Turner Valley   $33,500  







Q. What if my income changes?
A. It is incumbent on you the tenant to advise Westwinds Communities in writing of any changes in the household composition or income. 


Q. Can I go to programs or meals at the lodge?
A. Yes, subject to pre-booking independent living tenants may access some meal and recreation services at the supportive living communities. Fees for service will apply, please call supportive living community directly to book.


Q. Is parking available?
A. Yes uncovered parking with plug-ins are available for a monthly fee.


Q. Can I apply before I’m 65?
A. You must be 65 to apply for housing. For couples, one person needs to be at least 65 and the other person needs to be at least 60 years of age.


We Would Love To Hear From You!