Westwinds Communities administers the Government of Alberta Rent Supplement Program for the geographical region south of Calgary to Claresholm, west to Bragg Creek and east to the County of Vulcan.
In this program, Applicants must meet pre-qualification criteria, based on the Alberta Social Housing Regulation, in order to qualify for the program. The amount of assistance is based on the difference between the tenant's qualified rent and 30% of their gross income, to a maximum subsidy of $600. This amount is then fixed for one year. Eligibility for continued assistance, which is subject to ongoing funding, is reviewed every year.
To qualify applicants must be:
• Canadian Citizens, independent landed immigrants, or government sponsored landed immigrants.
• Assets and belongings cannot exceed $25,000.
• Total gross household income cannot be more than the income limits are based on community and on the number of bedrooms you are eligible for housing.
• Meet the minimum point score requirement established by Westwinds Communities.
• Applicants must provide verification of current household income and rent (including copies of rent receipts, cancelled rent cheques, lease agreement and utility bills).
This program is open to people who are renting a legal suite (e.g. apartment, townhouse, house).
Tenants sign a lease agreement with the private landlord. Under the agreement, they follow the rules and regulations established by the landlord. Any questions about damage deposit, rent payments, upkeep of the residential premises, emergencies after hours, problems with neighbours, moving out, pets, etc., should be directed to the private landlord. Tenants must make their rent payments to the private landlord.
The Direct Rent Supplement is a taxable benefit. Westwinds Communities issues tax receipts to the tenants at the end of the year. The supplement may affect other benefits the tenants receive. They should check with their benefit provider.
Qualified applicants are placed on a waiting list. The waiting list is based on priority, those with the greatest need are offered the next available subsidy.
View our frequently asked questions on our rent supplement by clicking below:
|Property||Number of Suites|
|Medicine Tree Manor||100|
|High Country Lodge||41|
|Glenmead I,II & III||40|
|Sheep River House||24|
View our frequently asked questions about our supportive living, independent living, community living, affordable housing and rent supplement clicking below:
Copyright © 2016 Westwinds Communities. All reserved. Designed by El Designo Inc.